Thank You 2014 Red Kettle Campaign
We want to sincerely thank the La Porte community for their support in 2014. We were able to help those in need by providing food, clothing, and emergency assistance throughout the year. And thanks to your continued donations, volunteerism, and support, we raised $98,000 during our 2014 Red Kettle Campaign! That is over a 40% increase over last year, thanks to our chairperson Fran Milo and coordinator Ketra Bolster as well as our volunteer bell ringers and your donations. These funds will help us continue the successful programs that gave back to the community in 2014.
In 2014, your Salvation Army of La Porte accomplished the following:
- fed 400 families, or roughly 1,200 people, per month through our food pantry
- provided weekend meals for 300+ children in four La Porte elementary schools through our Backpack Food for Kids Program
- gave 868 food boxes, each box with 36 + items including a turkey, ham or meat voucher, for families during Christmas distribution
- worked in conjunction with Toys for Tots and, through generous community donations, provided thousands of toys for children at Christmas
- offered free lunch five days a week in collaboration with REAL Services, a senior feeding program
- provided hot meals 4 nights a week through the soup kitchen, feeding approximately 700 individuals a month
- served hot meals to 275+ individuals on Thanksgiving and Christmas with over 100 volunteers (recipients received at least 2 presents and a $10 Kroger gift card)
- provided a feeding program and character building events and activities for school children on Wednesday nights during the school year. We fed the children supper, and then provided activities for them to earn merit badges as they learn responsibility and how to give back to our great community
- provided transportation to individuals who desired to attend church on Sundays
- visited lonely, hurting people in nursing homes and assisted-living facilities through its Community Care Ministry that included a magnificent and growing tea ministry
- Work with the Family & Youth Services Bureau to provide a mobile tot shop each month. The Tot Shop encourages responsible parenting by providing supplies for pregnant women and for families with infants and young children up to age 5.
- gave dozens of disadvantaged children the opportunity to experience summer camp at Little Pine Island Camp
- gave emergency temporary housing vouchers, utility bill assistance, rental assistance and many other assistance to hundreds of local families
In addition to our ongoing programs, the La Porte Salvation Army will also be providing the following in 2015:
- offering transportation, fellowship, and expanded activities for senior citizens
- providing free tax return preparation for qualified individuals utilizing licensed, volunteer tax preparers through the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) working in collaboration with the United Way of La Porte County
We applaud La Porte for its goodwill! And ask for your continued support throughout 2015 as the Salvation Army of La Porte provides assistance to those in need.
THANK YOU, La Porte!
To volunteer, to donate, or to learn more about the La Porte Salvation Army, call 219-326-5342. Visit our website, SALaPorte.org, and find us on Facebook.